Subject: [Leica] low light kit
From: Neil Frankish <nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:54:10 +0100

Having had some additional disposable income, I decided to go and buy the
1.4 35 ASPH with my name on it, that has been sitting on the dealers shelf
for the last eighteen months. My visit coincided with an influx of second
hand gear, including two 75 1.4s. (I never even seen one before -it's
big!). The shop owner suggested I might like to  buy one at the same time
:-)

Of course, my first response was that I couldn't afford both so he showed
me the older, cosmetically challenged one, and we haggled a bit and I ended
up walking out with both it and the new 35 1.4 ASPH. While the transaction
has emptied the coffers, I now have my low light kit (whatever you do,
don't mention the Noct!). I have started doing theatre work and need
something longer than a 50 f2 & faster than a 90 2.8.

Trying to find current second hand prices on these lenses is not easy -
there does not seem to be many about - but given the high prices in Ireland
on one hand, and buying it in a package deal on the other, the $8-900 US
that I ended up paying for it maybe wasn't so bad? The major cosmetic
defect being a ding on the pull out lens shade. I think it is an older one
(but maybe current generation?) because it has Leitz rather than Leica
engraved on it. Curiously, the lens cap has both Leica and Leitz on it. Any
idea of the chronology? Is the shade easy to replace?

As an addendum, I got my M6 & 50 2.0 about 2-3 years ago, after having
nearly killed myself hauling a hefty SLR kit around Rome in the summer sun.
After losing all that weight, I have now slowly built it back up again, and
the 74 1.4 is a major contributer! Now, if I just had a second
body.......(and don't mention the Noct)

Neil.