Subject: Re: [Leica] The work of other photographers
From: hmphoto <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:14:09 -0500

On 9/23/99 9:45 AM Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com wrote

>You did say:
>"while I admire the work of others, that doesn't mean that looking at their
>work would necessarily make mine any better.  It's a matter of talent, not
>imitation."
>
>This was the line that generated my response, as I know so few photographers
>who share this sentiment.  IMO there is a distinction between imitation and
>learning.  While that line can get blurred pretty easily (eg. among
>graduates of Freeman Patterson workshops), it is possible to use others'
>work as a learning tool.

Paul,

I agree with you...it is beneficial to look at others work...to find
photography that intrigues you and to try to figure out how the shooter
"did that" is one way of growing your skills.  Not saying you should
imitate, but if you can learn a new lighting technique or such you can
apply that in almost any kind of situation. One thing as a photographer
the learning process never ends...if it does your skills never grow.

Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net
preview my book: http://www.volmania.com