Subject: Re: [Leica] low light kit
From: Neil Frankish <nfrnkish@dux4.tcd.ie>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 17:03:07 +0100

>Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 10:14:54 -0400
>From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
>Subject: Re: [Leica] low light kit

>That's a terrific price for a 75/1.4, especially if the glass is pristine.

>My 75 employs the same hood as the Noctilux (an older model).

>I'm curious.  How are you metering your theatrical shots?

>Chandos

>At 02:54 PM 9/23/1999 +0100, you wrote:
>the $8-900 US
>that I ended up paying for it maybe wasn't so bad?

>Chandos Michael Brown
>Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
>College of William and Mary

>http://www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown

Well, the glass is pristine apart from a tiny bubble in the front element
and a black speck on an inner element.

As far as metering in the theatre is concerned, I use the M6's meter and
point the camera at a point between the areas directly illuminated by the
spots and the shadow areas. The lighting is usually difficult - very harsh
under the spots and the shadow area is completely black. At one dress
rehearsal I metered for skin tones only (the actress didn't mind the camera
being shoved in her face!). Once I am happy with a reading, I ignore the
diodes and tend not to change settings, expecting that the film latitude
with cover the variations.

The results have been well received - their previous experiences have all
involved flash photography of set poses outwith the performance. My shots
are of the actuall thing (or rehersal). Generally, the subjects stand out
from a relatively black background. I'm hoping that the diminished DOF with
the 75 1.4 will further isolated the actors from their surroundings, and
the extra stop or two will sharpen things up with faster shutter speeds.

My only dissapointment was that the 10 X 8s seemed a little 'soft', at
least to my eyes, though others (non photographers) can't seem to see it.
By soft, I don't mean out-of-focus or shake blur, but more like you would
expect to get with a soft focus filter. I have been using TMZ or Delta3200,
and usually shooting at 1/125 at f2 or f 2.8. Fast enough for the 50mm at
least - so its probably not camera shake. Others don't seem to see it, but
I was wondering if the low light or contrast could contribute to at least
an impression of softness. Surely it can't be a question of the lenses or
my technique! :-)

Neil.