Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Anthony's thoughts on photographic art
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 14:41:56 -0000

I like to take photographs; I don't like to read about them.
> There are a few names I recognize, but I'm not a great
> worshiper of other
> photographers.  No two photographers are the same, and while
> I admire the
> work of others, that doesn't mean that looking at their work would
> necessarily make mine any better.  It's a matter of talent,
> not imitation.
> ########

Not to be rude, but this may be the most inane in a longggggg line of
utterly inane posts.

Saying that not looking at - studying - the work of other photographers is
like a writer saying that he doesn't read the works of other writers because
he couldn't possibly learn anything from them, a painter's saying she had
never studied art history or been to a museum, or a psychologist saying that
he had never read the basic works on psychology.

Looking at/studying the works of great photographers will only turn you into
a copycat if you have no imagination, intelligence, or vision of your
own.........oh......never mind.