Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm Noctilux
From: Larry Kopitnik <kopitnil@marketingcomm.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Sep 1999 15:14:57 -0500

Given that the M excels in the wide angle department, and looking at the
lens range as a whole, the one thing that *really* stands out is the lack
of fast lenses wider than 35mm. Once you go wider than that, you're stuck
at f2.8.

As I've said several times on this list, I'd *love* to see a 24mm ASPH
Summicron (I'd love a 24mm ASPH Summilux even more, but I'm not holding my
breath for that one).

Canon's 24 mm f/1.4 lens has, I believe, a 72 mm filter front. As does
Nikon's 28 mm f/1.4. Seems like that would be quite the viewfinder blocker,
and therefore impracticle, on an M camera.

But Nikon's 24 mm f/2 lens has just a 52 mm filter front. And I'd think
modern aspherics could make such a lens smaller and/or lighter and/or
optically better than the Nikon (and the 24 f/2 Nikkor is no slouch to
begin with). That seems entirely practical -- and a realistic hope -- for
the M system.

Larry