Subject: [Leica] Summicron 90 A-A
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 09:00:40 -0700

Recently I received one of the new Summicron 90's, and can only corroborate
what Erwin stated on his site in his earlier comparison on the various
90's.

I have a 90/2 (#2814***), second type and a thin T-Elmarit (#2793***) and
compared them to the new A-A 90 using Ektachrome 100S, Kodachrome 25 and a
couple of fine-grained B&W films. The Kodachrome I don't have back yet, but
the other stuff has been analyzed. I shot on a sturdy tripod at two
distances, infinity and 3m.

The 90 A-A was outstanding in all shots; there was very little difference
between using f/2 and f/4, and in the 100S shots, I really could see no
difference. The old 90/2 did remarkably well, and the T-E was a step behind
that. However, the T-E at any aperture never did reach the performance the
90 A-A showed at f/2, and the older 90/2 just barely reached that level at
its optimum aperture (5.6-8). Flare is also better controlled in the new
lens, and eveness of illumination is outstanding. Again, in both areas the
older 90/2 was a step behind, and the T-E a little bit poorer again.

As Erwin has repeatedly stated, to get the most out of the new lenses you
must use your best technique. Shooting handheld with 100S film, you would
be very hard pressed to see the differences between the A-A and the older
f/2. The T-E would show differences, but likely only in direct comparisons.

Basically, the new 90 brings the performance of the previous 90 at its
optimum aperture all the way to f/2. That's the bottomline as I see it.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com