Subject: RE: [Leica] What I'd like to see.
From: Paul Chefurka <Paul_Chefurka@pmc-sierra.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 11:15:46 -0700

I'm completely in sympathy whith Anthony's sentiments.  The way I see it, if
Leica starts down the road of "average consumer products" the marque will be
diluted, and they'll end up in direct competition with companies like Cosina
and Konica.  they are ill equipped to do this.

My Leica M wish list includes AE (the only change I'd like to see in the
bodies), recognizing that it would need a new (focal plane) shutter.  A
higher flash sync could fall out of that, but who really cares?  As far as
lenses go, a 28 Summicron and a 75 Summicron are the only new lenses I'd
like to see.  An update of the 50 'lux is also overdue.

That's it - short, sweet and to the point of what Leica is all about.

Paul Chefurka

> > So, let's make and an M6 "lite" to sell side by
> > side with the regualr M6: Take and M6, keep soemthings
> > the same: shutter, rangefinder. Remake everything else
> > in aluminum and plastic with the idea of cutting the
> > weight of the body in half.
>
> Who would buy it?  One great selling point of the M6 is
> quality construction and
> durability.  Take that away, and what's left?  Being able to
> mount M lenses is
> not a selling point, because anyone who can afford M lenses
> can afford an M6
> body, too.
>
> I really don't like the idea of making any "bargain" Leicas.
> There are plenty
> of bargain brands already; we don't need one more.

[snip]