Subject: RE: [Leica] Re: Photo Vultures (didtoday,getalife) [no Leica]
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 12:53:13 -0500

At 03:49 PM 9/22/99 +0000, B. D. Colen wrote:
>Which, I believe means, just as photographers can be barred from courtrooms,
>and at various times in our history have been routinely, so they could be
>barred from photographing in other situations. From publishing the photo
>once it's taken? That's another matter...

This is correct. But the law pretty much says if one is in public, they
have no legal power to tell a photographer no, you can't photograph me. And
the first amendment allows NEWS publications the freedom to publish what
they want. A survey of what's being published to day without the law coming
down on them is pretty good evidence that whatever a NEWS photographer is
going to want to publish, and a NEWS paper/magazine is willing to publish,
is going to be allowed.

Of course, the California legislature is trying to make celebrities
special, and punish any photographer who dares to use a telephoto lens. (If
the law is read correctly).

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

It's about time we started to take photography seriously and treat it as a
hobby. - Eliott Erwitt