Subject: [Leica] 90 a-a cap scuffs
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 18:53:15 EDT

I have not yet seen this thread, but Elliot has given me a ring about
someone's 90APO that is being scuffed by the lens cap.

While I have examined the one I have and do not find that it touches the
convex front element, it is conceivable that with a little pressure it could.
Perhaps if it sat in a bag front element down that would be enough pressure?

I have had this very experience with my Hasselblad 30CT. The lens cap (on
that lens it is really soft, not nearly as rigid as a Leica cap) was pressing
against the glass and causing two semicircular scuff marks as well as one in
the center some times.

While it was able to be polished off with a micro fiber cloth...it did scare
the be-Je***s out of me! What I did for that lens was I simply put a gasket
in the cap. I glued it in! This worked because it was a push-on type cap. It
moved it up just 3mm or so...enough to keep it off the glass. (I'm very anal
with my glass and I didn't want to "black tape" my gear though it might be
another alternative.)

On the 90APO I don't think this would work as it is a clip on cap. Two
suggestions: 1. be really careful about putting the lens in your bag face up
so no weight is on the cap. 2. buy a 55mm filter from me! ;-) Seriously, that
would probably the best thing although it would cost you $85. I know the "I
hate filters" crowd will be upset with this answer...but it is only a
suggestion.

If I have missed the point completely...feel free to ignore me!

later,
Rich
The Photo Village, Inc.