Subject: Re: [Leica] <no Leica> Photo professionals
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 11:06:41 +0200

From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 1999 04:13

> ...after a few minutes one of the kids said "Do you
> have to take our photos?!"   I put my camera down and thought
> to myself...no I don't...got in my car and went back
> to the office.

So you pleased the high-school kids there, but you may have missed the photos
that could have persuaded some other high school kids to drive more carefully.
You avoid making someone uncomfortable, but someone else might have died later
who would not have died had he seen particularly persuasive photographs taken by
you.

You should have continued shooting.  Sometimes a bit of temporary discomfort for
one or two people is preferable for the greater good.  If every photojournalist
stops shooting whenever he made a subject uncomfortable... well, look at a
collection of such photos yourself and see just how many that would eliminate.

  -- Anthony