Subject: [Leica] RE: Bargain Leicas
From: "Mark E Davison" <Mark_E_Davison@email.msn.com>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 05:57:13 -0700

There are two reasons Leica might want to consider a modern version of the
CL:

1. From the standpoint of functionality there is currently a hole in the
camera market: a genuinely pocket size 35 mm camera which is of high quality
and has an optical focussing system.

Based on my experience with the Nikon 35Ti, the autofocus systems used in
small cameras simply fail in too many situations to use them reliably for
general photography. (The active system used in the 35Ti fails on glossy
surfaces (cars and water), and thin items (flowers, flames, tree branches).

The current M6 is too large to fit in a reasonable size pocket. In my case
this would be the rear pocket of a bicycle jersey, or the side pocket of a
windbreaker.

2. The current fascination of the young with "retro" items provides an
opportunity to enlarge the market for the rangefinder category. The idea is
that if you can get a customer to buy, use and appreciate an "entry level"
quality rangefinder camera when they are younger, then it is much easier to
get them to move up to an M camera when their means permit it. Today the
only affordable quality rangefinder cameras are either cheap but hard to get
serviced (Canon 7), very old (Leica III ), or amazingly expensive (used M
cameras).  To see what I mean, think about what rangefinder camera you would
recommend to a serious young photography student of limited financial means.
I actually encountered this situation, and could not, in good conscience,
recommend anything at all.

A partial analogy in the world or cars is the introduction of the Boxster by
Porsche. Although still expensive, the Boxster has allowed Porsche to
greatly broaden their market by selling new cars to a younger clientele, and
has helped their financial health. Purists will argue, of course, that the
Porsche brand equity has been diluted, but it is difficult to argue with the
financial results. Some dilution of brand equity is probably to be preferred
over bankruptcy.

In terms of customer loyalty, I think Porsche also realized that it was
better to introduce the Boxster and have a customer driving a Porsche,
rather than giving up that same customer to a rival company that makes
sports cars (i.e. Mercedes or BMW).

If I were Leica, I would be talking to Cosina today about a Leica badged
entry level rangefinder (maybe branded the VolksLeica, with a pink badge
<grin>).

If that is unacceptable, I would at least issue the key M lenses in Leica
thread mount, so that people who purchase the upcoming Cosina
rangefinder-coupled camera can move up to Leica glass.

As Porsche discovered, you cannot sustain a brand based solely on quality
and exclusivity. Very high-priced items are optional purchases, and your
sales can really slide during times of economic difficulty.

Mark Davison