Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 13:20:43 -0700

Johnny Deadman wrote:

> >>Some of you may recall that I asked a while ago about why I was consistently
> >>underexposing my photographs taken with my M6...I think I'll eventually
> >>get used to it.
>
> RE your gray identification problem, I strongly recommend getting a basic
> book on the zone system, which will make it much easier for you to get your
> exposures right.
><Snip>

I have a take on this all of a sudden:
With Nikons at night or even at day the metering is computer driven (Matrix) and
I often point and shoot not being careful to exclude bright objects from the
apparent metering field or to compensate for them. If this is Anthonys
background this is what he's used to.
With manual metering as in the M6 or a meter you have to be careful of not
getting to much bright anomalies in your reading. The sun can really throw you
off (only fly there at night) but so can a streetlight and so can the sky. It's
great gaining control of  your own pictures. That is how I felt when I switched
from Nikon to Leica M.
Mark Rabiner