Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 12:00:30 +0200

From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Sent: Saturday, September 25, 1999 22:20

> With Nikons at night or even at day the metering is
> computer driven (Matrix) and I often point and shoot not
> being careful to exclude bright objects from the apparent
> metering field or to compensate for them.

The F5 at least watches for specular and point-source highlights and ignores
them in its metering calculations.  It seems to do well both during the day and
at night.

My FG meter is readily fooled by bright objects, though, even those outside the
central weighting region.

> It's great gaining control of  your own pictures. That is
> how I felt when I switched from Nikon to Leica M.

It's definitely interesting to do it all manually.  I find that I rapidly
started mentally noting specific exposures for specific situations.

  -- Anthony