Subject: Re: [Leica] Film suggestions for extremely low lightexperiments?
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Sep 1999 23:12:06 -0500

At 09:16 PM 9/25/99 +0200, Nathan Wajsman wrote:
>Can you provide more details on this? Developer, time? Thanks.

Sure. TMax developer. At 85 degrees I process it in a water bath if the
room is typical room temperature. Easy to maintain. And make sure all
fluids from developer to photo flo is within about 5 degrees. (Developer
dead on).

I agitate by inverting the tank and giving it a 180 degree twist at the
same time. Five inversions in five seconds, every thirty seconds. Many
people are afraid of good agitation, but this keeps the development even
without overdoing it. I do not agitate for thirty seconds to start like
some people. Just five to begin and then every 30 seconds five more. Some
people like minimal agitation, but that lets bromides build up and create
uneven development. An idea way to process is with a Jobo, but you must cut
development times for constant agitation like that.

My photo flo is mixed fresh for every batch of film. Single shot, just like
the developer. I use a half a cap mixed in with about a quart of water.
That's the 1:200 dilution photo flo. And TMax films require rapid fixer. Do
not use the standard powdered fixer for them, they need more energy that it
has. And wash for at least five minutes in a vigorous wash. Don't just dip
and dunk, keep the water flowing, and remember fixer is heavier than water.
So dump a tank that doesn't have holes in the bottom several times.

P3200 Times: 85 degrees F - 400 - 5.5 min. at 75 degrees (don't try this at
home! Professionals and fools only!) At 3200 - 6 minutes. 6400 - 8 minutes.
12,800 - 10 minutes. These are my times, yours will vary.

TMax 400 (all at 75 degrees F - which is what it's optimized to be
developed at) - 200 4.5 min., 400 5.5 min., 800 6.5 min., 1600 - 8 min. I
don't go farther. P3200 is much better.

Can't remember my TMax 100 times.

Tmax 100 and 400 are better processed in Press Maxx developer by Unicolor.
P3200 looks horrible in it. Follow the directions, they seem to be dead on
for me.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

Better to understand a little than to misunderstand a lot.