Subject: [Leica] c41 tri-X?? let's be specfic
From: Summicron1@aol.com
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 17:41:41 EDT

actually, Tri-X is not a C-41 process film, you're thinking of Kodak's new
Chromogenic film, the name of which escapes me but which is similar to Ilford
XP-2.

Both films are, so I have heard, excellent, but you gotta know how to use
them. They are color film that only give you black and white images, thus
utilizing advances in color dye technology to give wider latitude and better
grain structure than standard black and white film can give.

To really see the best results scan them or make your own prints -- expose
exactly at ASA 400 to be right in the middle of the gray scale of the film
(it will allegedly give printable results if exposed anywhere from 25 to
1600, which it will, but just barely) and then print with a slight increasee
in contrast -- I pretty much always use a No. 3 filter.

the results are astonishing, especially if you use 120 film. It's pretty much
all I use anymore.

charlie trentelman
Ogden, Utah