Subject: Re: [Leica] Grey Zone
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 1999 21:52:58 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:
><Snip>
> But just as playing scales will never get applause at Carnegie Hall,
> well-exposed boring pictures are still boring pictures.
>
> Eric Welch
A decision that Ansel Adams made at one point when he had to decide between
being a concert pianist or a photographer...
"Technique" is what you are going to get with a classical music background.
We photographers can really do quite OK with lot of bracketing and our
intuitions coming from long experience and luck.
But technique is how I think of it that makes it easier.
You play scales so you can forget about them.
Many of us have a personal Technique which do not involve the word "zone" that
works for us.
I had to personalize Ansel Adams and Arnold Gassans Zone system to become my
zone system.
Those two did not agree.  Gassons was a modern refinement.
In Color Neg you have a whole different scale that you've got to work up for yourself.
A Color transparency Scale is so brief you couldn't even call it pentatonic
(Just the black keys). He He!
Mark Rabiner