Subject: [Leica] More zone
From: "Johnny Deadman" <deadman@jukebox.demon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 06:21:08 +0100

> I'm sure someone will explain how a 35mm shooter can use it in some
> fashion,maybe by using six Leica's at the same time. One for each zone of
> light or shadow?

I use the ZS with my very fairly freewheeling brand of street photography.
First of all, I use my knowledge of the zones to meter for each new lighting
situation, placing important shadows on Zone III and making sure highlights
are not off the map. Okay, this is just metering, but knowing the ZS helps.
Most rolls end up exposed in fairly similar lighting conditions... the same
day on the same street, the same room, whatever.

Then when developing, I know whether I should be developing N+1, N-1,
whatever. Most times, in fact, my particular processing method handles the
variations in exposure pretty well at normal times. But, as I pointed out in
another post, when problems arise I now have a formal method of seeing
what's wrong. To me, ZS is an analytical tool.

I play guitar, too, and it's the same as understanding what a major seventh
is. Many guitarists neither know nor care, but use them beautifully, like my
friend Brendan. If I said to him... go to the major seventh of the
subdominant, he would hit me. However, in the recording studio, when the
engineer says 'whoever's playing the suspended fourth is flat' it's me who
has to tell Brendan it's him.

It sounds as though you have already internalised all the knowledge that the
ZS formalises anyway. In my father's house, there are many mansions. All
roads lead to Rome. Etcetera.

- --
Johnny Deadman

"Oh, Lord, grant me the courage to change the things I can change, the
serenity to accept those I cannot, and the wisdom to bury the bodies of
those people I had to kill today because they were starting to piss me off".

St Francis of Assassin