Subject: [Leica] 100% Viewfinders (and a bit of OT sport)
From: Alex Hurst <corkflor@iol.ie>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 11:41:03 +0100

Hi LUGnuts.

One of the plus points of the N^^^^ F/F2 (of which I use a few) is that you
see 100% of what's going to appear on the film in the finder.

I'd never worked out why this was such an advantage, until I read an
article on the F which pointed out that a viewfinder which crops to 90% is
effectively reducing the angle of coverage of a 24mm lens to round about
that of a 28mm lens - in the finder, that is, not on the film.

This left me wondering if anyone knows:

a) What the true coverage of the framelines is on M cameras. Maybe this
varies according to model? By coverage I mean measuring from the inner
edges of the frame, which is at the moment what I take to be the limits of
my shot.

b) Ditto for the coverage of finders on Leicaflexes and Rs.

In practise it doesn't matter that much for me, as I almost invariably crop
a picture considerably. Not least because I normally print around 10"x8",
and 5:4 ain't anywhere near the same proportion as a 3:2 neg.

But if you're shooting trannies and you're trying to leave those intrusive
overhead wires out, or that telegraph pole on the extreme left, it matters
rather more.

BTW, gloom in Cork today as we didn't complete the double on Sunday by
winning the All-Ireland Gaelic football final to match the achievements of
the Cork hurlers two weeks ago.

And well done the USA in the Ryder Cup - a great comeback, spoilt only by
the US team wardance on the 17th green when Leonard holed that monstrous
putt and Ollie had not yet made his. Was anyone from the LUG there
immortalising the victory with a Leica?

Slan

Alex

Alex Hurst