Subject: Re: [Leica] RE: AA outcry
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 23:53:07 +0100

At 03:18 PM 27/09/99 -0700, you wrote:
>Well Ted, you know, once something has been said and a label affixed to it
>(by whomever) it will develop a life of its own and mutate into
>unrecognizable jibberish.
>But what you said is exactly correct. Us old farts have seen this shine
>before and can smell it right out of the box. It is not going away. It's
>not going to get any better. And even though I'm not in the direct line of
>fire, I see that it is making blithering idiots out of what used to be
>smart folks.
>The worst thing is that I see intelligent people answering questions that
>are direct contradictions of either previously asked questions or
>statements. It's as if there is some kind of spell that keeps folks from
>remembering what was just said the day before.
>Mad dogs do wag their tail.
>You and your old motto have company. Me!
>Jim

I can see how having a moderated list would solve this problem quite
neatly- just do what the Nikon list did. But as it is we can't- because
this is an unmoderated list.

Having the LUG function as an unmoderated list was always a bit of a brave
experiment, depending as it did on the goodwill and sense of all concerned-
and it will only work as long as no truly dedicated idiot decides to set up
camp on it. A moderator can simply get rid of such a problem. I am a
moderator on another list that attracts its fair share of attention-seeking
people who are motivated to cause problems for others- it would simply not
work without the ability to throw such people out when necessary. You
cannot reliably depend on intelligent humans to not respond to idiots- it
is a natural instinct and there will normally be enough people to succumb
to that temptation on a large email list like this. My suggestion- if
anyone was thinking about setting up a LUG list that has a real moderator
and throws idiots off when they become real problems, now might be a good
time to start making it happen. I think we may have all enjoyed Brian's
totally hands-off list moderation policy for about as long as is possible.

Joe Berenbaum