Subject: [Leica] Which one is the Leica?
From: Alexey Merz <alexey@webcom.com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 1999 20:56:05 -0400

Anthony Atkielski wrote:

If you care to take a little test, take a look at:

http://www.atkielski.com/Temporary/leicatest.jpg

This image shows two views of Notre-Dame.  One was taken with an M6
TTL and a
Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH.  The other was taken with a Yashica T5 pocket
point-and-shoot camera.  I'd be interested in seeing how many of you can
recognize which is which...

Probably no one, given that the pix are shown at only 700x900 or so;
given that the enlargements are different; given that the lenses
may or may not have been used wide open or at comparable aperture;
may or may not have been monuted on sturdy tripods; etc.

What I *can* tell you is that I have photos taken inside St. Chappelle
that, when enlarged to a *much* greater extent than yours (16x20 Fuji
Crystal Archive prints from Kodachrome 64 slides), retain *far* more
detail than your enlarged insets.

In short, the lenses were probably not the limiting factors in
your photos. That does not mean that the lenses are not a limiting
factor in other peoples' photos.

- -Alexey

ps - I have a T5 and a Ricoh GR1 as well. You are right, the T5 does
have a phenomenal lens for the money. It's noticably better than the
Nikkor 35/2 AIS. And yes, the Leica 35 Summilux ASPH is noticably
better than all of the above, WHEN used carefully. So what is your
point?