Subject: Re: [Leica] Zone blues
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 11:59:58 +1000

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 08:15 PM 9/27/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
> >I'm constrained by budget with respect to using a lab, and constrained by
> >space
> >with respect to developing it myself.
>
> At the risk of offending some people who think I contribute too much, and
> am pompous and have to comment on every single topic (I passed on at least
> 10 this morning!) I'd say you must have some really tight digs. I can
> process black and white in the space on a bathroom sink to put my shaving
> kit. All you need is a changing bag, some quart-sized bottles and a
> developing tank and two or four film rolls. And it all fits in a nice box.
> Viewing and editing negatives takes a lot more space, but you seem to be
> able to do that. Give it a try. It's actually fun (until you have to do it
> professionally every day!).
>
> Eric Welch
> St. Joseph, MO
>
> http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch
>
> As far as I'm concerned, treachery will sometimes bring loyalty into question.

Eric, my sentiments exactly.  There is nothing more satisfying than to develop
black and white.
No darkroom is needed. just the changing bag you mentioned. The nice thing is, to
start
playing around with different brews. Also the big advantage is, to be able to use
bulk loaded film. Sometimes I do load only 8-10 frames in to a cartridge, because
I know, I am not going to do more exposures today and i want to be able to develop
them straight away without wasting to much film.
B&W bulk film is still relatively inexpensive. In my earlier days, I  re used old
film cartridges, but now I use the commercially available ones.
The chemicals are cheap and last quite long, if they are properly protected from
oxidizing.

Developing slide films is not much more involved. I done a couple. If I can do it,
anybody can.

Expensive books on developing:  No such a thing, I never bought a new book on
developing or printing . There are hundreds of second hand book shops around.
Most of them have a photographic sections. Normally there are a half a dozen
books on the above subject. For a couple of Dollars each.

The main thing is to make an effort, be positive and do it.

Regards, Horst schmidt