Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: Focus woes
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:53:35 -0700

Jim Brick wrote:

> I don't remember Leica saying anything about different lenses with
> different screens. But the screens with a center split image are maddening!
> I cannot fathom their usefulness. You are trying to compose this scene, but
> there is a big glitch, right in the middle, that screws up your view. And,
> with long lenses, the little split image prisms go black, further screwing
> up the composition. Even with short lenses, using DOF preview, they go
> black. You cannot use these lousy screens with DOF preview. I use DOF
> preview with at least 75% of my Leica R photographs. 100% with MF and LF
> images.
>
> I guess you can tell that I don't like anything except a smooth, plain,
> ground glass. Grid lines are OK. You get the whole, unadulterated, view.
> And can check DOF without interference.
>
> Jim
It was probably a Nikon description with all their screens. I used the E screens
which has no split image but does have an overall widely spaced architectural
grid as I seem to have had a shoulder always droop on me. A hook.
It was AF that made me realize that with viewfinders as bright as they are now I
really didn't need the split image anymore.
mark