Subject: [Leica] Trinol amateur test
From: Robert Beaudoin <bussbearm@cedep.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 10:41:05 -0400 (EDT)

Bonjour,

  Last week I purchased (dirt cheap, in the Leica context) a used Trinol
105mm 3.5 lens.  Much marks on the barrel, but with near mint uncoated
glass.  This past week-end I spent some time taking photos of my young son
in the backyard and inside the house.  All photographs were made on color
(400) negative film with the beloved M5 and enlarged to regular 4" x 6" format.

  Now, this being Scottish glass you know it has to provide unique
results...Well this lens lives up to this photographer s
expectations...Being uncoated it is very much affected by stray sunlight (a
shade was used) and loses contrast accordingly.  However under more diffused
light conditions, it performs nicely even at full aperture.  Colors
(different shades of green) are well rendered and fine details are visible.
Performance is slightly better in the center than in the corners.  This lens
performance seems to be between the Komura 105mm and the Elmar 90mm in screw
mount.  The former (the only one I ever owned) had a ridiculous and unusable
performance wide open (f2 I think) and was barely usable at other f stops,
not to dwell on the fact that the front element easely came loose.  The
latter had more consistent and better performance at about all apertures
than the Trinol.

  Overall that was an interesting very amateur test to perform.  Actually,
this lens, considering it s price, has a very good price/performance ratio.
Anyone on the lug trying these unusual optics from time to time.

  This being my second post today I hope no lugger will bear a grudge for me
flooding the bandwith.

  Regards,

  Robert (Un chevalier sans blason)

  P.S. This is one strange looking lens...two black paint rings, three
chrome rings and one brass color body.