Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB Portaits
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 17:47:41 -0400

Mark Rabiner wrote:

> HCB has a whole book of portraits out that I was looking at this week.
> Not my favorite HCB. He's better when he doesn't ask first!
> Mark Rabiner

I'm assuming the book is "Tete à Tete" which features images presented
in the D.C. show. I, too, have the book. I have to agree with Mark that
his reputation is based more on his spontaneous images, but the
portraits in the book do reveal another side to his vision and genius.

Lets not forget that he was one of the preeminent photographers in the
world in his time and he was equally given, as well as chose,
assignments that brought him to the forefront of history. This included
history's shapers as well. I find it interesting, via the photos, how he
interacted with his subjects. Or didn't. It brings back a thread that
was raging here a few months ago regarding portraiture and whether it
should be done with or without the subject's cooperation and knowledge.
As usual the lUG came down on both sides of the issue.

What I find interesting with HCB's portraits is that there is
predominantly eye contact. The other thing I find interesting is his use
of "available" light (à la Eugene Smith) and his positioning of his
subjects within the frame. They are some of the finest environmental
portraits I have seen. One of my favorites is the one of William
Faulkner with his dog stretching in the background. It takes some
courage, defiance and genius to break the rule of having the subject
looking at the edge of the frame. Usually you see the subject having
more room to gaze into. HCB has Faulkner gazing almost against the right
edge of the frame with all the negative space on the left of the image.
Rarely, if ever, do you see a tight headshot. Usually there is space
around the subject. I read somewhere that when he was photographing Ezra
Pound in Pound's later, arthritic years, that HCB just wandered around
him making photos, each saying nothing to the other until the session
was over and then he just left.

All in all rather fascinating and another insight into his photographic
genius.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/