Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: OH No Filters
From: Godfrey DiGiorgi <ramarren@bayarea.net>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 14:49:03 -0700 (PDT)

> Once upon a time a couple years ago it was cold, drizzling and nearly dark
> outside and a couple rain droplets had blown in on the front element of my
> 180 3.4 APO-Telyt, blatantly violating the law that says a lens hood is
> supposed to protect from that sort of thing, and forcing me to wipe it off

The Law says only that it *helps* to protect from that sort of thing.

> quickly with a microfiber cloth I keep in a ziplock bag in my pocket.  When I
> got home, I noticed several deep circular scratches on the element (evidently
> there were a couple specks of grit that also broke the lenshood-as-protection
> law).

... and similarly for grit. Actually, a friend of mine at an optical
company told me he considers microfiber lens wipes to be one of the bigger
evils now in common use. The wipes themselves are quite good, but people
use them casually presuming that the lenses are now invulnerable.

Godfrey