Subject: [Leica] Re: Got my 24mm today!
From: pieter@world.std.com (Pieter Bras)
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 18:43:44 -0400

Bob McEowen wrote:
> ... I can't believe I -- of all people -- am defending UV filters

Well, the subject is really "lens protection" isn't it.  Considering how
much these lenses cost it's a perfectly reasonable concern.

I own "protective UV filters" for my lenses, too.  They live in the
bottom of my camera bag and very rarely come out.  But there are some
situations where I've used them:

 -- when I started using the Leica M it took a while to get used to the
 feel of the thing.  I would get my fingerprints on the rangefinder and
 viewfinder windows and even on the front of the lens.  That doesn't
 happen to me anymore, fortunately.

 -- in really dirty situations, like a kitchen with hot grease spattering
 about, or an industrial environment where safety glasses are required,
 and anything exposed is going to get hit with crud in a hurry.

I find that leaving the shade on permanently, and covering the shade
with a tight-fitting cap, provides more effective protection than a UV
filter.  In my experience, the front element is most likely to get a
bump or a fingerprint when I'm changing filters (say when I need to use
a polarizer), and an already-mounted UV filter (that needs first to be
removed and later re-installed) just increases the opportunities for a
mishap.

Leica sells front caps for all of its currently available rectangular
shades.  For round shades, one has to improvise.  I've found properly
fitting caps by sifting through the "junk box" at camera dealers.

The only removable shades that present a problem are the vented ones
like the 12585; I just don't use those, for this reason.

- --
Pieter Bras