Subject: [Leica] Focomat Ic Questions (was B/W Enlarger Question)
From: Don McClure <mcclure1@erols.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 22:06:22 -0400

This talk of Focomat Ic enlargers is an example for me of the usefulness
of this list--despite its recent bloat and bombast. I've been lurking
(mostly) around here for three years and the flood of great information
and insight never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, just today, a friend gave me a Focomat Ic. It's an early one that
has been sitting around in a garage for a long time, the wiring is all
dry rotted, the condensor and negative carrier are gone ("Oh, they are
around here somewhere. I'll keep an eye out for them") and the lens is a
little hazy. The rest of it seems to be there, in good, if dirty,
condition.

Here are my questions:

Is the lens worth having cleaned? It is a Focotar 5cm f4.5. I could use
it on my Omega B8 (or can I?), if I can't salvage the Focomat. Somewhere
on the web I read that this lens was actually made by Schneider. Any
comments?

How easily available are the condensors, negative carriers and other
accessories? Would bying this stuff separately cost more then the
enlarger is worth? Any suggestion of sources? Funny, I do believe I saw a
condensor at a flea market in Reading, PA a few weeks ago.

TIA,

Don McClure
Abingdon, MD