Subject: Re: [Leica] Got my 24mm today!
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 1999 23:06:32 EDT

In a message dated 9/29/99 11:45:47 PM, anthony@atkielski.com writes:

<< It has been raining for a week, and I've been unable to go outside to shoot
anything.  I am unwilling to let rain pour down onto my camera. >>

May I make a suggestion? How about giving yourself an indoor assignment?

For example, you might say, "This week I will work on showing interaction."
Then go to some public -- indoor if it's raining -- place like the train
station or a mall or someplace where people gather and work on your
assignment. If you're concerned about how people will react to you shooting
pictures then simply approach them, introduce yourself and ask them if you
can hang out, observe and shoot a few pictures. Follow a group of kids around
the mall, shoot old men playing chess, go to a workplace and photograph the
activity. Ask and  you shall receive, you know . . .

Another approach to get out and shoot is to do a photo scavenger hunt. In the
past when I've taught photography workshops I made a list of attributes --
things like red, cold, fast, wide, sad, beautiful, dry -- and randomly wrote
four or five of these words on pieces of paper. The students each took a slip
of paper out of a hat. Their assignment was to photograph say three of the
five words. You could do the same thing. Maybe you could pull one slip each
week and work on it. When we did this in the workshops we'd send the students
out in public places. SOme shot people, others chickened out and shot
architectural details, etc. It doesn't really matter, it got them shooting
but more than that, it forced them to try to communicate ideas with their
pictures.

Bob (there's no rain-outs in photography) McEowen