Subject: RE: [Leica] Paris Rain
From: "Lee, Jonathan" <Jonathan.Lee@hrcc.on.ca>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 09:26:04 -0400

Let me relate an interesting story about rain that derives from
Jan Wong, a one-time journalist (now columnist) for Toronto's
Globe & Mail. I rely on my memory of her columns for accuracy.

Jan Wong is in Tianamen Square when the Chinese army rolls over
the democracy protesters and chases them into the alleys of Beijing.
She is watching events unfold from the roof of her hotel which overlooks
the square. After the initial early morning attack, the surviving students
run away,
but regroup and actually return to Tianamen to taunt the army and
continue their protests.  The army shoots at them again and chases them
back into the alleyways.  The unarmed students, however,regroup again
 and reenter the Square where the army shoots at them once more.
This tragic sequence is repeated FOUR times (!!) into the late
afternoon. By this time there are now ~500 demonstrators still brave enoguh
to return to Tianamen.  However, it now starts to rain and these
demosntrators
melt away and go home.  So Jan Wong thinks (and writes) "How odd, the
students are not afraid to die but they are afraid of getting rained on."

Jonathan Lee