Subject: Re: [Leica] Paris Rain ain't nuthin!
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 23:59:08 +0200

From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Sent: Thursday, September 30, 1999 21:59

> A woman in Pattonsburg, MO (which was wiped out twice by
> flooding) digging through a pile of trash on the East side
> of town that local prisoners had piled up from the town's
> cleanup. She was looking through what was left of a thrift
> shop for clothes for her children. The pile was about 15 feet
> high. She was dwarfed by it.

Sounds like a good shot.  Is it on your Web site, at least?

> National Geographic's engravers made two 8x10 transparencies
> from it and it looks as good or better than the best scan I
> could get from it with a LeafScan 45! They are true masters!

I've heard lots and lots of incredible stories about the things that they can do
at National Geographic.  Enlargements the size of buildings, resolution that
shows individual DNA molecules in a person's skin, etc.  I wonder how much is
true, and how much isn't.

> No, they were alkaline.

Ah.

> In cold weather, they only lasted a week. But I had
> an F5 from the very first shipment to hit U.S. shores. It
> definitely had the battery drain problem.

I've heard a lot about that.  What was the source of the drain?

I'm happy to say that my F5 seems to be very economical with batteries.  I often
carry an extra set with me, anyway, however--you never know, and the F5 is a
paperweight without batteries.

  -- Anthony