Subject: Re: [Leica] Another comparison, more realistic this time
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 30 Sep 1999 18:43:51 -0700

Anthony Atkielski wrote:
><Snip>
>
> This image compares the Leica Summicron-M 1:2/35 ASPH with the Nikon AF-S Nikkor
> 28-70/2.8D IF-ED.  The photographs are of the same subject, at the same focal
> length, from the same position, at the same time of day (albeit it not on
> exactly the same day), under the same weather conditions (overcast). ><Snip>

Hi Anthony!
I think you might be trying to do a positive thing here. I'm thinking positive.
As a photographer who has had real interest in the value of his lenses I test
one against the other as one has perhaps given me known results and I want to
see how the other stacks up to it.
I don't shoot the same building on different days or hours.
I set up a tripod and shoot the same view or views and replace cameras or lenses
so I can make a real comparison the only variable being the lenses.
If one is an SLR and one a rangefinder I definitely lock up the mirror on the
SLR; there is a huge difference in not having mirror vibration being another variable.
And hopefully you are going with naked glass but I'd almost settle for the same
brand of UV filter on both lenses and the knowledge that both lenes had their
lens shades in use.
That way I can compare one lens against another and not a million another
variables to drive one crazy.
We're not guessing. We're not whistling in the dark.
As you seem to be a technical if not a scientific person of some sort I'm
surprised you wouldn't know that!
It's awfully fun to be able to REALLY see the differences between lenses and not
just wonder how many other variables are throwing off a real comparison. One
would not have to be a scientific person like Alexey to get real frustrated on a
thing like this.
Different days put us in a daze. Give us a real comparison and win some friends
instead of continuing to loose them. I know I would appreciate a thing like
that. It shows respect for what you are doing, your gear and our time.
Mark Rabiner