Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Another comparison ...
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Oct 1999 16:18:01 -0700

Godfrey DiGiorgi wrote:

> > If one is an SLR and one a rangefinder I definitely lock up
> > the mirror on the SLR; there is a huge difference in not having
> > mirror vibration being another variable.
>
> I have seen this statement so many times and it's just so much total
> bullshit. The ONLY time that mirror slap on any modern, well-designed SLR
> is of any concern at all is at a very very few shutter speeds (usually in
> the 1/2-1/15 sec range) where the *possibility* of a resonant vibration
> could happen *with some lenses*. Usually very long lenses or when the
> camera is mounted for astrophotography or photomicroscopy use.
>
> The photo posted was a hand-held snap, most likely at some shutter speed
> like 1/60 second with a lens set to approximately 35mm focal length,
> mounted on a Nikon F5. There is simply no possibility at all that mirror
> slap induced vibration could be detected in any analysis of these photos.
>
> Godfrey

Geeeeese Godfrey!
Maybe not so much with a 35mm focal length.
I can think of one example about 8 years ago I was shooting the Portland Skyline
for a sideshow for Microsoft.
Projected slides made with a non mirrorlockupable 8008 were unusable...
Slides made with an FE2 where I forgot to lock up with mirror by using the self
timer prerelease were painfully evident in a series of the same projected slides
and unusable. Just shoot a roll on a tripod with a longish lens and shutter
speeds between 1/2 and 1/125 of a second and not lock up the mirror for some of
the shots. They stick out like a sore thumb.
It would be nice if those slick brochures on why were are spending so much money
on those modern slrs were to be completely believed. Since the shoot I just
mentioned the F4 and F5 both came out. But they didn't leave off the mirror
lockup because of it's great new dampening action. They left it on for a reason.
Mark Rabiner