Subject: [Leica] Boy, have we got a bee in our bonnet!
From: Aubin <aubin@aa.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 20:58:21 -0700

Greetings all,

Ted, once again you hit the nail on the head:   load film . . take pictures.

Seems that a lot of people got their adrenaline pumping, either over AA, or
the phase of the moon, or whatever, and feel that they have to just bash something.
I think the American bashing is kinda funny myself, but then again, its not like
I really give a rats arse what someone else thinks of my country.  I know what I
think of it, and thats enough for me.  The day I let someone else's opinion shape my
actions or beliefs is the day I resign from adulthood.

I guess I can tell from the worlds opinion poll where the truth of the matter is,
since the only vote that counts is the number of people trying to emigrate into
a country, versus the number leaving.  Check with State if you want to see the
numbers, then ask yourself who's right, the political namby-pambies, or the
people trying to live better lives.  'Nuff said about that.

Now, to get on topic.  I was down at Glazers the other day looking at the
Leica P150 projector, since I'm in need of a projector to help sort slides,
and occasionally show them to family and friends.  (The other good use for
single malts is to paralyze my audience so they have to sit through the show!)

I use the Rodenstock 4x loupe to do an initial sort, making sure of sharpness and
image content, but the truth is, I just can't get the feel for how the picture
will really look when enlarged to 8x10 or 11x14, or maybe larger and
then slightly cropped.

I looked at the options for table top viewers, but most seemed to be either
to flimsy, too small, optically distorted, or just as expensive as the enlargers.
I decided that I might as well go the whole way in, since I can project small
for my own sorting purposes, and large for an audience.

Anyone know off hand how small an image the P150 with the 85mm lens
projects, sharply focused?  Not that it will effect my decision, since I'm buying it
anyway, but curious to know before I go through elaborate attempts to get a
true 11x14 or so from a 35mm neg.

Any last minute dire warnings about this projector, and are they strong enough
to convince me that I really need the 300 series instead?

Thanx,
Norm

P.S. - If you don't think might makes right, check your history.