Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: WAS: Americans. baby killers. GET OFF IT!
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Fri, 1 Oct 1999 20:51:35 -0700

George,

My point was simply that there are some on the list who don't mind off-topic
posts at all when they are involved in them and are very quick to criticize
them when they aren't.

Yesterday, someone posted a message that made comment on the United States
having the death penalty for children. This immediately drew two comments
that such a thing was "completely ludicrous" (from Eric Welch) and "absurd"
(from Bill Grimwood).

The juvenile justice system is something I know a bit about. I'm attorney
currently working in the juvenile system. The original comment made was
perhaps technically incorrect, but it was most definately not completely
ludicrous or absurd. There are a number of states in which such a thing is
absolutely possible and where young adults have recently been executed for
offenses committed when they were legally children.

If you find this offensive, I'm sorry. It is a serious subject where I felt
that some rather significant misinformation had been posted and in which I
have some specialized knowledge. I find it no more offensive or off-topic
than some of the attempts at humor that have been posted here lately and
much less so than some of the personal criticisms that have been flying
around. I have tried to post some factual information on an existing subject
and I have never, on this or any other subject, ever engaged in personal
attacks on this list.

When will we stop trying to regulate what others say on this list?

We each have the absolute and unfettered ability to control what we read
here and what we respond to. Read what interests you and respond to what you
find interesting or where you have something to impart, but please don't try
and make those decisions for me. I am perfectly capable of making them for
myself.

A list like this should serve not only as a forum for the discussion of
Leicas, but as a place where those who have Leicas in common can communicate
with each other about whatever they choose, be it travel or politics or
Scotch or whatever. Why not? Every posting has a subject line and every
computer keyboard has a delete key.

Bryan