Subject: Re: [Leica] So much for superiority of Leica lenses?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Oct 1999 15:07:32 EDT

In a message dated 10/2/99 3:52:10 PM, ewelch@ponyexpress.net writes:

<< The head of NPS once told me that Nikon looked into making a rangefinder
camera to compete with the Leica, and the found out it would end up costing
more than the M6 and its lenses. (Limited market I guess). >>

I think the pricing of the Contax G1/G2 cameras and lenses casts some doubt
on this  statement (the NPS guy's not yours). Aren't the Contax bodies about
$1,000 and the lenses all about $600 or less? Surely Minolta/Fuji/Mamiya or
somebody could make a manual focus, interchangeable lens camera for less than
the price of a Leica. In fact, I haven't checked but it seems to me that even
the medium format rangefinders and lenses are less than Leica, aren't they?

I'm not really complaining too much about Leica prices. Buying used, it's
quite conceivable to put together a two-body, four-lens outfit for less than
$5,000. Still I can't help thinking Minolta (I keep coming back to them)
could do it for a lot less. It's possible, that MIGHT open up the "serious
amateur" rangefinder market. Maybe I give the photo companies too much credit
- -- since when have they brought out products with photographers in mind?

Maybe the best solution if for Contax to bring out a real manual focus body.

Bob (reverting back to his photo marketing days) McEowen