Subject: [Leica] has the lug a future?
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 00:36:34 +0200

Since a few months the Lug has changed beyond recognition. The Lug
used to discuss topics related to the history, technique and use of
Leica equipment. Now it is a forum for Leica users to discuss any
topic that may catch the imagination of two or three persons. This is
a fundamental shift of perspective: no longer is the Leica product
the focus of attention, but the Leica user gets the attention. This
shift explains the recent personalization of messages, the ever
broadening of themes (from Iwo Jima to child murderers), the personal
attacks and exchange of insults, and the sometimes exponential
explosion of messages by the same person.
Why is this happening? My own view is this: as a group we have some
experience with and some knowledge about the Leica products. In the
last couple of years we have exchanged all of this and now we are in
the stage of repeating ourselves. There is a limit of what can be
discussed about Leica in a substantial way , given that it is the
same group of people  who are talking. By now we know that the R-19
is a good lens, that the the 70-180 is OK and that the Canadians
designed great lenses. So it is natural that the group shifts
attention to new topics. Leica is out of the question as we have told
everything we know and this is boring stuff. or so it seems. The
learning capacity is also limited. See the greycard discussion.
The lug community then will survive as a group of people that happen
to own Leica equipment and prefers to discuss every topic that is
interesting to a small segment of the group.
I would prefer to refocus on the Leica product area, but that seems
impossible in the current climate.
As one contributor remarked:anyone daring to ask a real Leica related
question will be overlooked.

Still I am convinced that Leica as a fascinating product and a superb
photographic tool merits a passionate  attention and I am sure we all
need to know much more of this product and the technique to exploit
its potential and enjoy the use of it.

I am afraid the Lug climate is contaminated. As a StarTrek fan I
would say: let us recalibrate our sensors and do a new scan. We may
be surprised to note what is out there.

Erwin