Subject: Re: [Leica] Back from trip - report on R8, winder etc.
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sat, 02 Oct 1999 13:30:04 -0500

At 11:46 AM 10/2/99 -0500, Richard W. Hemingway wrote:
>.  I was especially interested in the 35/1.4-R as compared to the
>35/1.4 asph-M that I used to have.  I tend to take a lot of low light
>pictures and bought all three 1.4 lenses.  I mostly take slides and project
>them onto a 60" x 60" matt screen with a Leica Pradovit P2002 projector
>with a 90/2.8 Supercolorpan lens. I looked at both series of slides, from
>last year and this year and, for my purposes, can't tell any difference
>between the two 35/1.4 lenses for the most part

This is something that people seem to be very skeptical about. This is a
sleeper R lens that doesn't get as much respect as it should. Since the
original Aspherical M lens came out, I have heard it's rated the third best
35mm around, behind the Aspherical and the Canon 35mm f/2. Dick's tests
seem to bear out that it truly is a great lens. It does have some
vignetting wide open with extremely even backgrounds, but other than that,
and it's size and weight, I would love to own that lens again.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

The best pictures differentiate themselves by nuances...a tiny relationship
- - either a harmony or a disharmony - that creates a picture.
	-Ernst Haas, "More Joy of Photography"