Subject: Re: [Leica] Iris on a lovely day
From: chefurka@sympatico.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 23:12:20 GMT

On Mon, 04 Oct 1999 08:27:04 +1000, Alastair Firkin
<firkin@netconnect.com.au> wrote:

>OK so you may not agree with any of this, and yes I may well be a large
>wanker, but this is what I was setting out to do with this image, and I
>would love to hear if any of you think ANY of it worked ;-)

One of the things I have given up on over the years is the hope that
anyone will see in my images what I saw when I pressed the button.
As an example, it's unlikely  I would ever see religious symbolism in
a photograph that was not overtly religious - my mind just doesn't
work that way.

I will sometimes get spiritual feelings or feelings of awe and wonder
from a photograph.  Unfortunately, in those instances, the
photographer probably had in mind things like "Wow, nice light for
this breast-feeding shot" or "I wonder if this rock is big enough to
take out the suspension of my 4x4" :-/  Presented with a shot of an
iris with uplifting spiritual elements, my philistine side kicks in
and says "Nice flower, too bad about the bokeh..."

The best any of us can do is satisfy ourselves that our images are
what we intended, and then turn them loose in the world.  If a viewer
arrives at any new realization as a result, their work here is done.

Paul Chefurka