Subject: Re: [Leica] So much for superiority of Leica lenses?
From: Ruralmopics@aol.com
Date: Sun, 3 Oct 1999 19:46:13 EDT

In a message dated 10/3/99 5:25:37 AM, ewelch@ponyexpress.net writes:

<< Yes, but the G2 has some serious shortcomings compared to the M6. Like
slower lenses (easier to design a focusing system for) and it's more an
amateur-oriented camera. The Minolta CLE was a great camera, but the meter
didn't work in manual! Not a pro feature.

The reason the Nikon would cost more is the tools would have to be created,
where Leica amortized them long ago. >>

My only point about the Contax is that apparently it is possible to design a
line of lenses for a viewfinder/rangefinder-type camera, produce them in
relatively small numbers and not have to charge an arm and a leg for them. My
desire for a Japanese rangefinder camera has nothing to do with equalling or
even competing with Leica but simply offering another choice to the serious
amateur photographer who might not be able to justify Leica prices.

Personally, I am encouraged that Contax sees enough market for a different
kind of camera to produce the G series, that Cosina thinks the Bessa-L to be
viable and that Mamiya and Fuji are willing to gamble on medium format
rangefinders. That tells me that at least some members of the photo marketing
industry see a future in rangefinders and viewfinder cameras. I would just
like to see someone else take a stab at it with a more Leicaesque approach.
No, it wouldn't be a Leica but it might be a hit with the photo club crowd
and other serious amateurs.

Bob (not proposing a Leica replacement) McEowen