Subject: Re: [Leica]Now Focomat Ic Question (was has the lug a future?)
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Sun, 03 Oct 1999 22:09:51 -0500

At 08:18 PM 10/3/99 -0400, Don McClure wrote:
>Is the lens worth having cleaned? It is a Focotar 5cm f4.5. I could use
>it with my Omega B8 (or can I?), if I can't salvage the Focomat.
>Somewhere
>on the web I read that this lens was actually made by Schneider. Any
>comments?

I doubt it. I belive Focotars are Leica designs and made. It's a good lens,
but the Focotar II is a much better lens so I hear. And I have used those,
and they are great. But I like the Focotar 40 2.8 on the V35 even better.
It makes gorgeous black and white photos. It would be a good lens to use
anyway, but send it to DAG or Sherry Krauter or Leica and see if they can
get rid of the haze. Get an estimate. I wouldn't pay more than about $200.
Otherwise, you could find a new, better lens. If you can find a condenser
for the enlarger, and get some local electronic repair shop to put in new
cords, the enlarger would be worth fixing I'm sure. It might be hard. Does
it have the anti-newton glass pressure plate for the negative stage?

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch