Subject: Re: [Leica] Epson paper/ink question
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 11:54:01 +0200

From: B. D. Colen <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Sent: Tuesday, October 05, 1999 17:01

> Yes, I've added ram, which is now really cheap, and a
> second hard drive, also cheap..but I'm in my third year
> with the computer, and probably won't upgrade for another year.

There is no reason to upgrade unless you need something you don't already have.

I have a dual-processor Pentium Pro 200 MHz, which was the absolute state of the
art when I bought it a few years ago.  Nowadays, it's considered obsolete.
However, I know an important secret:  The speed of a computer does not decline
over time, so if it was fast enough for you when you bought it, it will remain
fast enough for you forever, as long as your requirements don't change.  Thus,
my computer continues to serve me just as well as it did when I purchased
it--even though it is now "obsolete"--and I haven't seen any reason at all to
upgrade, nor do I plan to upgrade in the near future.

A computer used for digital work tends to require a lot of RAM, so investing in
RAM isn't a bad idea.  But beyond that, you don't need constant upgrades.  And
nobody who looks at your photos is going to know what kind of computer you used
to manipulate them--unlike mechanical and analog devices, there is no difference
between what a slow computer can do and what a fast computer can do, beyond the
time it takes to do it.

  -- Anthony