Subject: [Leica] Re: Shooting Leica wide open
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 08:10:47 -0700

- --=====================_1376864606==_.ALT

At 02:33 PM 10/6/99 +0800, ctkhor wrote:

>Jim Brick was saying that a picture shot at f1.4 with a Summilux has a
>special look and feel that only a f1.4 lens has. He also said only someone
>who has owned and used a Summilux would understand it.
>
>James Khor

James,

You certainly have a special way of paraphrasing what someone said. Above is
what you said I said. Below is what I actually said.

Images made with a Summilux, at f/1.4, have some unique properties. It is
not that one always photographs at f/1.4, it is that there are
circumstances that need f/1.4, and there are circumstances that want f/1.4.
But, of course, not all circumstances. If you do not have a Summilux,
then you cannot realize the needed f/1.4 speed or the desired f/1.4 effect.

And Webster's #1 definition of "realize" is:

" to bring into concrete existence : ACCOMPLISH "

which in no way means that (in your words) "only someone who has owned and used
a Summilux would understand it."

It simply means, "if you don't have one, you cannot easily photograph at a very
low light level (at f/1.4) and you cannot limit your DOF to that narrow band
produced at f/1.4." Nothing more, nothing less. So please, in the future,
either clip exactly what I said, or ask me to explain further before
paraphrasing.

Thank you.

Now about wasting your money on Summiluxs. I have sold all of my Summicrons and
bought Summiluxs. Not all at once. Over a period of two years. I'm very happy
that I did. I use f/1.4 often enough to justify the cost. Everyone has a
different goal in their photographic endeavors. On my Hasselblad and 4x5
cameras, I have no use for anything wider than f/5.6. My M6 is a different
story. I often use it in situations that need f/1.4. Either for very low light,
or for minimum DOF. Or both.

Jim Brick

- --=====================_1376864606==_.ALT

At 02:33 PM 10/6/99 +0800, ctkhor wrote:<br>
&gt;Jim Brick was saying that a picture shot at f1.4 with a Summilux has
a<br>
&gt;special look and feel that only a f1.4 lens has. He also said only
someone<br>
&gt;who has owned and used a Summilux would understand it.<br>
&gt;<br>
&gt;James Khor<br>
James,<br>
You certainly have a special way of paraphrasing what someone said. Above
is what you said I said. Below is what I actually said.<br>
Images made with a Summilux, at f/1.4, have some unique properties. It
is<br>
not that one always photographs at f/1.4, it is that there are<br>
circumstances that need f/1.4, and there are circumstances that want
f/1.4.<br>
But, of course, not all circumstances. If you do not have a
Summilux,<br>
then you cannot realize the needed f/1.4 speed or the desired f/1.4
effect.<br>
And Webster's #1 definition of &quot;realize&quot; is:<br>
which in no way means that (in your words) &quot;only someone who has
owned and used a Summilux would understand it.&quot;<br>
It simply means, &quot;if you don't have one, you cannot easily
photograph at a very low light level (at f/1.4) and you cannot limit your
DOF to that narrow band produced at f/1.4.&quot; Nothing more, nothing
less. So please, in the future, either clip exactly what I said, or ask
me to explain further before paraphrasing.<br>
Thank you.<br>
Now about wasting your money on Summiluxs. I have sold all of my
Summicrons and bought Summiluxs. Not all at once. Over a period of two
years. I'm very happy that I did. I use f/1.4 often enough to justify the
cost. Everyone has a different goal in their photographic endeavors. On
my Hasselblad and 4x5 cameras, I have no use for anything wider than
f/5.6. My M6 is a different story. I often use it in situations that need
f/1.4. Either for very low light, or for minimum DOF. Or both.<br>
Jim Brick<br>