Subject: Re: [Leica] How much difference is there....really
From: Eric Welch <ewelch@ponyexpress.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Oct 1999 18:17:23 -0500

At 07:46 PM 10/6/99 +0200, Anthony Atkielski wrote:
>An alternative to what?  Nobody has asked for any alternatives, that I can
>recall, although some have asked if I could put up pictures of other
>places (not
>likely, though, since I hate to travel).

Better pictures. I'm not saying their opinion doesn't count, but if the
only option you give them is self-described boring pictures, then maybe you
ought to take stock and see if your skills are up to making better
pictures. Otherwise, why bother using great cameras and lenses? If all they
want is mug shots. They don't know what they want until they see what's out
there. Just because that lady said your pictures were the best virtual tour
she has taken, that doesn't mean it's the best possible. If I'm not
growing, I figure I might as well lay down and die. Such an attitude leads
to better pictures.

By definition, the term least common denominator means whatever appeals to
the widest audience. Bland. Boring. Lacking in expression or any kind of
voice. The best photography is the kind where the photographer has a voice.
That shows some character in their pictures. If you don't care about that,
stop wasting your money on high quality cameras and lenses that will never
live up to their potential anyway. You might as well feed the hungry or do
something else useful with your money and use cheap cameras. On the other
hand if you use them because they feel good in your hand, or there's some
special feeling you have from fondling them, then by all means, do it. But
twaddling on about how great and useful your pictures are, and at the same
time talking about how boring they are is self-indulgent and wastes bandwidth.

Eric Welch
St. Joseph, MO

http://www.ponyexpress.net/~ewelch

There are two kinds of photographers: those who compose pictures and those
who take them. The former work in studios. For the latter, the studio is
the world.... For them, the ordinary doesn't exist: every thing in life is
a source of nourishment. -Ernst Haas