Subject: [Leica] Re: film and traveling
From: Bill Erfurth <m6rf@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 1999 21:16:53 -0700 (PDT)

From: "RP Johnson" <rpjohnson2@home.com>

Anthony raises an interesting point:  why do US
travelers
to Europe adopt
the techniques of professional photographers traveling
the Artic with
respect to film?

But why?

The answer is simple....money.

I don't know for sure, judging for Anthony's example
what he is paying $11 for I am paying about $4.25
(color slide film)  Plus since I but it out of state,
I do not pay sales tax.

Even if you could get film and processing for the same
price in Europe there is the matter of the 17%-19%
Value Added Tax.

It is true that film is more expensive in Europe than
in
the US (but most
things are), but we don't take our own food. Although
have to disappoint
Anthony on one matter: I do pack two pounds of coffee
with
me when I go.
Coffee in France is good, but expensive for us 10 cup
a day
types.  (I won't
go into the quality of coffee in England)

Also, when you go to Norway or Sweden, you take your
own beer or booze, because liquor is very expensive
there.

Can other seasoned travelers tell me why (aside from
the
slight increase in
expense) I should not buy film in Europe and have it
developed there?

How do you judge the quality of the lab you are
thinking about dealing with?

Bill