Subject: Re: [Leica] Shooting Leica wide open
From: "David W. Almy" <dalmy@mindspring.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 07:24:47 -0400

"Kotsinadelis, Peter (Peter)" wrote:

> Eric,
>
> With all due respect, no lens performs better wide open than stopped down.
> While some may perform better than others wide open, none will ever be
> better wide open than at say F8.  Most Leica lenses are adequate wide open
> but incredibly sharp stopped down.  There are some lenses like those from
> Pentax that are actually better resolving wide open than a Leica lens, but
> they lose at F8 to Leica.  Look at any of the tests on Leica lenses, and I
> think you will see what I mean.

Peter,

Not to prolong this, but your comment is an inaccurate generalization.
The science of the matter is that every lens made has an optimum
performance aperture. Erwin has noted several, none of which are as low
as F8. Most of my "pro" photos are taken at large apertures -- that is
the primary reason I use Leica lenses, because of their performance wide
open. If you can demonstrate a performance advantage for specific
competitor's lenses at similarly large apertures, I'll buy them (the
new/current Canon L/IS fast 300, 400, 500s may qualify here, for
instance). Over several years of research pouring over lens tests,
however, I have not found a performance advantage at large apertures,
lens series vs. lens series, for other makers. If you have test which
prove your point, please post them.

David W. Almy
Annapolis