Subject: [Leica] New M
From: Stephen <cameras@jetlink.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 11:50:53 -0700

 I previously reported on my site  that the M7 had  been announced for
introduction at the next Photokina in September 2000,
based upon what I was told appeared in a German newspaper's  interview with
Leica's CEO Cohn.

I now have a  copy of what I believe is that article, dated May 29th which
appeared in the Frankfurter Allgemeine (a large
newspaper with national distribution).   A new M is talked about, but this
article does not specifically call it a M7.

In the article Mr. Cohn is quoted as announcing  a new M for Photokina 2000.  It
is vaguely described as an improved version of the present M6, without giving
features or an official designation.  This might be the M7 or a M6E (the
designation on a prototype top plate sold at Christie's) or M??   The article
also says  the present M6 will stay in production.

It remains to be seen what Leica brings to Photokina in September 2000.

Stephen Gandy