Subject: Re: [Leica] Heiland
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 13:25:24 -0700

Eric Welch wrote:

> At 05:09 PM 10/7/99 +0200, Erwin Puts wrote:
> >You misread the info, Eric. The splitgrade has a sensor with which to
> >measure any or all parts of the projected negative. The Splitgrade then
> >computes just the maximum density range and links this to the paper garde.
> >The module is continuous variable, I posted a long story about the
> >Splitgrade some weeks ago.
>
> I did not misread your info. I just disagree that a machine that can
> pinpoint maximum white and black is going to give me an expressive print.
> Maybe that isn't the intent of most users.
><Snip>
It would have to be in close touch with the temperature, pH and dilution of your
Developer that Day or minute. Plus after evaluating the range of tones in you
neg how you prioritized them. But it's all doable and work aroundable and could
be a real help. I've been spending an hour and 7 or 8 sheets of fiber paper on
each neg. I could see a system like this turning that into a half hour and 4 or
5 sheets.
Mark Rabiner
I do end up with more than one useable print and it's not alwasy the last one I
made. Lastly I've been anticipating blacks drying down a tad darker and they
don't, they almost seem to lighten. So one of my earlier efferts save the day.