Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Sports Finder Value Indeed $1,500 [Scotch & Bud.]
From: "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@atkielski.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Oct 1999 23:48:51 +0200

From: <MGMcGough@aol.com>
Sent: Friday, October 08, 1999 23:15

> A van Gogh might not have any appeal to the average
> LUGnut but wealthy individuals as well as museums have
> paid many millions for one to just hang on their walls.

I think Leica should continue to regularly issue commemorative versions of its
cameras for collectors.  They can charge sky-high prices for them, then use the
proceeds to fund the production of their regular cameras.  The latter cameras,
functionally identical to the commemorative versions but of little interest to
collectors, could then serve real photographers and guarantee a long and
prosperous existence for Leica.

It looks like this already happens to some extent.  At least I haven't seen any
other cameras with as many "collector" versions.  Hey, if people are willing to
pay extra for an M6 just because it is covered in lizard skin, why not?

  -- Anthony