Subject: [Leica] Bay Area LUG & HUG Photo Day
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 10:08:27 -0700

BAY AREA LUG GATHERING

       AND

BAY AREA HUG GATHERING

Even if you don't live in the San Francisco or Monterey Bay Areas, you are,
of course, invited.

I am putting together a photography day for Bay Area Leica Users Group
(LUGgers) and Hasselblad Users Group (HUGgers), since many folks belong to
both. Tom Brichta (No. CA Leica rep) "will" be attending and I have some
interest from Peter Powers (No CA Hasselblad rep) as well.

The date is Saturday November 13th. This is the best date for Tom (and
others) and I think it is nice to have "factory" representation. Besides
that, as most of you know, Tom is a genuinely great guy and an outstanding
photographer. I don't know much about Peter (yet) other than his great
sense of humor an his incredible ability to materialize, woefully
backordered pieces of equipment, out of thin air. Amazing...

It is also possible that Tom and Peter will be able to bring some demo
equipment with which folks can fondle and photograph.

All we need is Ted to make the day and evening complete. :)

I have queried numerous folks who want to participate in this function and
there seems to be a great interest in the CA coast from Monterey south.
Almost anything one wants to photograph (except skyscrapers) can be found
there. It is equally great for B&W and color.

http://geogweb.berkeley.edu/GeoImages/BainCalif/BIGSUR.HTML

The plan is to meet Saturday morning on Weston Beach at Pt. Lobos. Pt Lobos
hours are 9AM to 6PM but after Oct 31 it switches to 8AM to 5PM. Sometimes
they forget to open early so if you are thinking about arriving earlier
than 9, call a day or so before to make sure that they will be open. (831)
624-4909. I plan on being there at 8:30. I think a good scheduled meet and
greet time would be 9:30. When the majority of us have arrived, we can
collectively decide what to do. Weston Beach itself is a photographic
marvel. The wildlife in the reserve is also tops. Not to mention the
seascapes.

If you cannot get there by 9:30, that's OK too. I have a bright red BMW
station wagon which is very hard to miss. Pt. Lobos is not a very large
place. If everyone decides to boogie from Pt. Lobos, I'll leave a message
at the information station (see the map you get at the gate).

I'm also trying to figure out some kind of visible ID. I can print "LUG"
and "HUG" tee shirts but that won't show. Any Ideas?

After I have a head count, I will Email dinner plans. If you cannot make it
for the day of Photography, come for dinner.

I believe that the best plan is to simply play everything by ear.
Individuals or small groups (or perhaps everybody) may want to go down the
coast toward Big Sur. There are numerous great spots. Garrapata beach,
Garrapata park, Bixby bridge, view from Hurricane point, Pt. Sur, etc...
And the other way is touristy Carmel with quaint shops and "people" doing
things, Monterey yacht harbor and wharf, Pacific Grove Monarch butterflies,
etc... Nothing is very far away from anything else.

Everyone should bring their own lunch so that no matter where you are at
lunch time, you can eat.

I will have coupons from Kodak for free film. I don't know yet what
quantity or kind, but it will be free film.

I have arranged for dinner at a great restaurant (world class chef). I will
need a HEAD COUNT ASAP so I can firm-up the reservation. It will be open
menu so you can order whatever you want, any way you want. I will pay the
bill that evening, then we can reconcile it among ourselves the following
week. I will Email, to you, the dinner plans as soon as I have a head count
and reservations made.

I also need a head count for my Kodak contact.

Many of the folks that I know (including me) are planning on staying
overnight. We could have breakfast together, collectively, or splinter
groups, or not at all, and/or photograph some more on Sunday morning.
Whatever the winds bring. I'm sure that not everybody will want to stay
overnight, but it's a great opportunity to go finish your photographic
train of thought.

I plan on taking my Leica gear, Hasselblad gear, and my 4x5 Linhof Master
Technika. I look at this as a photography excursion rather than strictly a
brand recognition event. We already know what the best equipment is. We all
have it and we all use it.

If anyone is interested in 4x5 work and has never used a 4x5, I will be
happy to demonstrate how it all works.

Likewise I will be using my Hasselblad FlexBody if anyone is interested in
a demonstration of how it works.

I will also demonstrate how to easily use polarizing filters on the Leica
M, and the use of filters on the 40mm Distagon, including split and grad
filters.

If Doug Herr comes (I know he will if he is available) we can all learn how
he makes such magnificent wildlife photographs using a Leicaflex and long
handheld Leica lenses.

While there, we can collectively decide on when to have the separate
evening get together and slide show.

For those wanting to make reservations for accommodations, the following
URL's will help.

http://www.monterey.com/mc7/mc7c_vcr.html

http://www.monterey.com/mc4/mc4.html

http://www.monterey.com/california/

However, the best way is to call "Resort-to-Me", at (831) 642-6622. They
are a free room finding service in Monterey and really do a great job.

If you are interested in participating, please Email me ASAP so I can get a
head count. I already have about ten, even before this announcement.

If anyone can think of what I might be missing, let me know. And if you are
planning on being there, please let me know ASAP, especially if you are
planning on having dinner with the group.

If you have any friends that you think might like to go, please pass along
this notice.

Please reply to:

jim@brick.org

or call: