Subject: Re: [Leica] softar
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 1999 12:30:43 -0700

Ted Grant wrote:

> Guttentag Horst,
>
> I want to go!!!!!:)  Just the description evokes all kinds of wonderful
> Leica created images, well OK I can see them in my minds eye, the Leica
> just records them on the film. :)
>
> This is the time one needs 2 bodies and two Noctiluxes....one colour, one B&W!
> Then you wouldn't have to screw around changing lens body to body and could
> be winging it like crazy shooting both as fast as the scenes came before
> you.
>
> May I offer a tiny suggestion? Even though the fog and atmosphere
> conditions will create a haloing effect with the lights and to some degree
> the reflected light in the wet streets, it might be worth trying, dare I
> say it? :)
>
> Putting a "softar filter" on the lens to see what kind of effect it would
> create, certainly worth a try on a few.  I think it's one of those
> atmosphere/ light conditions you really can't tell how effective it is,
> until looking on the light table.
>
> Anyway, have a great shoot, softar or not, sounds perfect conditions for
> great moody 19th century images.
>
> ted

In the early 80's the starting out photographers I knew all often used Tiffen
Fog filters. I'm not sure if many of those images have any staying power now I
would think some would.
As for as the Noct goes my thoughts are that the side interesting
effect/advantage of diffusion is that it because less important that you hit or
miss your focus as bokeh has taken over your whole image. In effect it's almost
as if you have much more depth of field.
Although doing this with the LeicaM would make finding this focus much easier as
you don't have to focus through the diffusion. I imagine with what has been
learned about Laser etching "softar" type filters have progressed. Still the one
to get I'm sure is still the Zeiss.
Mark Rabiner